You are here: Home » Using InfinIt
SBI Infin It for Third Party Plugins
How to Use InfinIt! to Create a Blog, Forum or More...
SBI Infin It allows SBI webmasters to use third party plugins to add blogs, forums, and more to their websites. Find out how to use SBI InfinIt! here...
One of the biggest complaints about SBI for almost 10 years was that it limited you from setting up add-ons to a site that required the PHP language. That was a big deal because most blogging software, forum software and store software require PHP, or at least some kind of "under the hood" access that SBI restricts.
All those complaints were nullified when SBI rolled out its InfinIt! module a couple of years ago. This module allows you to use various third party plugins (really any at all that you want) by installing them on a virtual domain at a separate web host and then "mapping" them to a subdomain on your SBI website.
Does all that sound confusing? Don't worry... you don't really have to understand all the technology behind how SBI Infin It works... you just have to know how to use it for your own purposes!
What Is Required to Use InfinIt
SBI Infin It! is an advanced SBI module. Don't attempt to use it until you already have a well-built out website (with at least 30 to 50 pages and getting unique visitor traffic of 100 visitors a day).
Adding on most third party plugins too soon will only frustrate you needlessly and be unnecessary. But if you ARE ready, then here's what you'll need.
- First, figure out WHAT you want to add on. As I've mentioned above, the most common plugins used for SBI websites are probably dedicated blogs, discussion forums, or web stores. But this module can really be used for just about anything, a separate sub-site, a membership area, a photo gallery... whatever you can think of!
- Then, set up web hosting with Bluehost or HostGator. The whole point of Infin It is to enable you to do things SBI won't allow. So that requires separate web hosting. They recommend Bluehost (preferred) or HostGator, because they are both known to work satisfactorily with the SBI Infin It module. Both are inexpensive and reliable.
- Decide on a subdomain name. You'll also need to know what you're going to call your subdomain. A subdomain is a label that goes in the URL in place of the "www" you're used to seeing. So my blog on my resume site is set up as http://blog.powerful-sample-resume-formats.com. "blog" is what I named my subdomain. The easiest thing to do is to pick a simple descriptive name like that.
- Use InfinIt to map your subdomain to your hosting account. The tutorials below cover this, but it's an essential step to make that connection between SBI and your new webhost. Once made, it is seamless to everyone else on the Web. No one will know that your subdomain is actually NOT part of your SBI website and is hosted elsewhere.
- Install the third party software on your subdomain. Luckily, this is super easy due to some installing softwares that both Bluehost and HostGator offer routinely.
- Customize your setup of the 3rd party plugin. You can match your blog, forum or store's look and feel to your SBI look & feel, if you like. There will also be other customizations you'll need to do as part of the initial set-up.
- Set up internal linking on your SBI website. No sense in setting up this additional part of your site unless you lead your visitors to it, is there? So don't forget to put a link in your navigation bar or use some other type of internal linking process to help people find your new blog, forum, etc.
That's just a high level run-down of what's involved with using SBI Infin It. The tutorials below will give you the step-by-step details.
SBI InfinIt Tutorials
As I said before, using InfinIt! is not for the faint at heart. It does take some persistence and at least a small bit of technical saavy and adventurousness to work through all the steps and be satisfied with the outcome. So don't push it until you're ready. Instead, just keep building your content and helping the Web find it through linking. You'll know when the time is right to dip your toe into the Infin It water....
- How to set up web hosting with BlueHost or HostGator
- Setting up a dedicated blog with WP
- Setting up a dedicated blog with Blogger
- Using Infin It to add a sub-website
- Setting up a forum with phpBB
- Adding a store
SBI Infin It offers incredible third party plugins functionality for those who are ready for the next level in website development. But don't feel pressure to work with InfinIt before you... or your website... are ready.